A step-by-step instruction on how to assemble a team to plan an event, get money and forget nothing.
I want to organize the event on my own. Where to begin?
Think over the idea of the event. This should not be an abstract idea, but a very specific goal. Clearly answer three questions:
What do I want to organize?
So you define the format of the event. It can be a party, a festival, a lecture or a film show. Think about what audience you are doing and how many people you want to attract.
Where will the event take place?
Based on the format decide what you need a place. For example, a closed room for 200 people, an auditorium for 500 people or an outdoor area for 70 people.
When will the event take place?
Choose the exact date in advance in time to do everything on time. A small event for 100 people can be prepared in a month, and a music festival for 1,000 people – not less than six months. The earlier you decide, the easier it will be for you to find the site.
The ready idea will look like this: “I want to arrange a techno party on the city beach on August 31 in honour of the last day of summer. At the party should be no less than 200 people and two invited DJs”
You May Also Read:
Can I do it all by myself?
Hardly. There are a lot of things and only 24 hours in a day. Therefore, it is better to gather a team of like-minded people, among whom you will share all the tasks. Well, if you draw the poster will be a designer, to promote the project – an experienced SMM-specialist, and adjust the equipment – a sound.
Do not be afraid to transfer some of the duties to other people. The main thing is that they are interested in the result and they can be relied upon. You will make life much easier by appointing the producer of the event. His task is to resolve all issues and disputes, control the team and take responsibility for what is happening.
The team has what to do next?
Make a list of all the cases. You probably need to think over the concept of the event, determine the budget, find and prepare a room, invite musicians, rent equipment, make posters, organize catering (delivery of food and drinks). Do not stop until a check mark appears next to each item.
Gather the whole team, discuss the plan of action and distribute the duties. Everyone should understand what he is responsible for. For all tasks, set deadline.
Be sure to write down all the new numbers in the contacts. It is better to do this according to the scheme “Name_Message_Date of the event”. For example So you definitely will not get lost.
I’m afraid of forgetting something. Can I have a rough plan?
Yes. The standard plan looks like this:
- Agree on meetings with volunteers, the team, and sponsors.
- Prepare tickets, hotel, and transfer for invited guests.
- Order design and print leaflets, posters, branded T-shirts and everything else that you need to draw and print in advance.
- Rent and prepare the site. Think of places for visitors, staff, equipment, and parking. Coordinate the lists of guests and organizers with the site owners.
- To prescribe the timing of the event – what will happen at that time. You have to know to the minute when they serve food, and when the presenter speaks.
- Rent equipment. The minimum set: a laptop, speakers, a mixer, two microphones, a screen and a projector. At large events, it is convenient to use for communication with the command of a portable radio set with a headset.
- Negotiate with the photographer and the videographer. Prescribe the technical task, agree on the timing and conclude a contract.
- Hire maintenance staff: security, cloakroom attendant, waiters, cleaning service. The number of people depends on the event. It is possible that you will not need additional staff or you will find volunteers.
- Find the leader. It is important. It will depend on the mood of the guests and the overall atmosphere of the event.
- Think logistics: how to deliver people, equipment, and food to the venue and back.
Freelance situations are more of a norm than an exception. Foresee Plan B for each item: what if you are suddenly abandoned in the site? And if there are problems with sound? And if it rains?
I’m not sure I can find money for the project. What are the options?
First, calculate the approximate budget of the event and make an estimate. Take into account all expenses: premises, equipment, invited guests, advertising, printing, logistics, catering, team. For example, the cost of the invited guests includes the purchase of tickets, accommodation, meals, transfer, and fees. Expenses for the team: payment of telephone communication, food, purchase of props.
When you know exactly how much you need, start collecting money. Where to look for them depends on the format of the event.
If you arrange something socially significant (urban graffiti festival, popular science lecture for schoolchildren), you can apply for a grant, launch a fundraiser or attract volunteers.
If you are doing a commercial event, look for a sponsor interested in PR. Make a beautiful presentation and clearly describe the benefits that the sponsor will receive from participating in your project and what is required of it. Just be honest and do not promise what you can not do. You will have more chances of success if the target audience of your event coincides with the target audience of the sponsoring company.
If you organize the best friend’s wedding, connect friends and acquaintances. They can provide you with a suitable platform, equipment, and a facilitator.
A good way to reduce the budget of a commercial event is to bargain with contractors and work on barter. The most expensive contractors are catering and alcohol bars. Set your conditions, accurately prescribe technical requirements and do not hesitate to ask for a discount.
What should I pay attention to, so that everything will pass at a height?
Every detail is important, even the number of toilets and bike parking. But there are five main elements on which the success of any event depends:
- Shine. A good light is when the scene is clearly visible, the searchlights do not blind, and the ugly shadows do not fall on the guests.
- Sound. Check the technique several times, set up the microphone and check with the owner of the room the noise level regulations on the site.
- Purity. No garbage, dirty floors and unassembled toilets.
- Security. Examine the evacuation plan and give instructions for the team and volunteers. Everyone should know where are the emergency exits, fire extinguishers, and a first-aid kit.
- Temperature. No one should be too hot or too cold – check the air circulation and the condition of the air conditioners. Comfortable temperature in the room in the warm season – 23-25 ° C, in the cold – 22-24 ° C. If you hold a music festival, the temperature should be lower (20-22 ° C), because after the dance at the scene everyone will definitely feel hot.
With whom should we coordinate the event, so that the police will not drive us out?
It is necessary to prepare two notifications: to the city administration and to the ATS (if there are less than 2,000 people at the event). They can be sent by mail or courier, two copies per each body. If you plan an event that will have more than 2,000 people, you need to send an additional notification to the regional government and to the regional GUVD.
The notification is written in the free-form: it is necessary to indicate that you are satisfied, what is the name and purpose of the event, where and when it will take place, how many participants are expected, who are the organizers. Look for examples of notifications on the Internet.
Conclude agreements with all contractors who supply you with equipment, catering or rent a room. Clearly discuss all the details and make sure they are in the contract. For example, if they agreed that the final cleaning of the owner of the premises, this item should be in the contract.
How to announce an event so that as many people as possible can learn about it?
Think of a name and logo. Let the designer draw a poster and develop a corporate identity. Make a simple site with information about the event – for example, on Tilda.
Send out a press release with information about the event: what, where and when do you conduct, who are the organizers, partners, and key participants. Try to interest journalists. Do not write too dry and send press releases to profile media – those that have the same target audience as your event. Editorial contacts on most sites can be found in the public domain.
Do not forget about progress in social networks. Create a meeting on Facebook, Twitter and the page of the event on Instagram. Start targeted ads and set up impressions correctly: it should only be shown to your target audience so that the advertising budget does not go to waste. Ask large urban communities and bloggers to talk about your event on their pages. If you do not understand SMM at all – there are a lot of useful materials about promotion in social networks.
All is ready. Is there anything else you need to foresee?
Be fully armed. The organizer should always have a charged phone with a connection and the Internet, a charger, a spare laptop, an extension cable, HDMI adapters for all possible connectors, stickers, an adhesive tape, a few lighters, a clerk’s knife, an adhesive plaster and painkillers in case the head rises.